Where to Get the Very Best Back to School Deals 2019
Back to School – makes the kids groan and parents jump with glee! As soon as New Years Day hits, we are bombarded by advertisements for Back to School Deals. But we have done the research and found the very best deals online – and we also sort them into basic, intermediate and high-quality.
Before You Start Your Back to School Shopping
First of all there are quite a few things you can do at home before you spend a dollar to save money on back to school. Think of items like:
- Go through all of the previous years left over stationery to see what is salvageable
- Re-use lunch boxes, drink bottles, school bags and book covers if they are in decent condition.
- Do you have a box of craft supplies or a pile of old school books from last year? Go through the pile and see what you can salvage (you can rip out the used parts of books and save the rest if only a few pages are used).
- Does the child have an older sibling that might have items to pass on? Think school shoes!
- Go through all of the school uniforms. If uniforms no longer fit but are in good condition, think of selling them or giving them to the school to give to less fortunate students. Damaged uniforms should be thrown out.
- Items like School Blazers are uber-expensive. Can you buy one second-hand?
Once you have sorted everything you can at home – it is time to start shopping around for the best deals!
For kids that are growing like weeds, rather than buying larger sizes which don’t fit properly and can actually do long-term damage to your child’s feet, think about purchasing a cheaper shoe that will fit, and then upgrade as needed. Once their foot size has stabilized in size for a bit – then go ahead and purchase a high-quality pair!
Cheap School Shoe Suppliers:
This is where you will find the cheapest school shoe deals around. Pricing from $6.50 – $45. We found the very cheapest school shoes we could find were from Big W for only $6.50!
- Target Australia has school shoes from $20 – $45.
- Big W has shoes from $6.50 – $30
- K-Mart has shoes from $8 through to $22
- Spendless Shoes ($24.99 to $44.99)
- Catch.com.au is an online discount store and often has all the best brands of school shoes at a really low price!
Cheapest: Big W at $6.50
Intermediate School Shoe Suppliers:
These are shoes that will last 6 – 12 months with heavy usage. Pricing from $67 – $139.95
- Williams has brands such as Clarks, Colarado, Roc and Lynx. Pricing from $59.95 to $139.95. They do offer 50% off the second pair of shoes you buy though so if you have more than one child, this could be a good option.
- Mathers has the brands Colarado, Roc, Lynx and Clarks. Range from $67.96 to $111.96.
- Myer often have a good range of school shoe brands such as Clarks, Skechers, Grosby, Nike, Roc Kids and Harrison.
High-Quality School Shoe Suppliers:
Good quality school shoes with padding and fitted exactly to your child’s needs. Pricing from $80 – $200.
- The Athletes Foot has high quality brands like Ascent and Asic. They will be professionally fitted to your child. Prices from $79.95 – $139.95.
- Clarks (Range from $103.99 to $139.99). You can also get Clarks Shoes at Myer, Williams and Mathers.
- Nike seems all the rage now- my boys are always begging me to buy them Nike Shoes.
- Ascent can be purchased not only direct on their website, but from The Athletes Foot. I think they are the very best brand of school shoes as they last a long time and have loads of support.
With School Bags, I highly recommend you spend more to get a really hardy bag that will last the whole year. Personally I buy my boys Billabong bags, yes they are pricey, but they haven’t been able to wreck one yet!
Cheap School Bag Options:
- Target has backpacks at $25 each.
- Big W has bags from $4 through to $30.
- KMart has school bags from $15 to $20
Cheapest: Big W at $4
Intermediate School Bag Options:
- Bright Star Kids have personalised bags perfect for early Primary School kids
- Smiggle is also for the really little ones.
- Rebel Sports has backpacks for all ages. It also has school sports shoes!
- Strand Bags has backpacks for older kids in High School and university.
High-Quality School Bag Choices:
So cute! These adorable bags are from Pottery Barn Kids and can be purchased online!
Lunch Boxes & Drink Bottles:
Lunch Boxes and drink bottles for school are a really personal choice. So I’ve just got all the best deals in every category.
Non-Toxic and Stainless Steel Lunch Box Suppliers:
- Thermos Funtainers are awesome as you can pack a warm lunch or snack for the kids. You can get Thermos from Myer, or directly from the Thermos website (I own about 8 of these – they are truly wonderful!).
- Biome Eco Store has lunch box brands such as YumBox, PlanetBox, LunchBots, and Green Essentials.
- Nourished Life carries lines from LunchBots, Cheeki, The Swag,
- Flora & Fauna
- Naturally Sustainable has organic insulated lunch boxes.
Bento Box Style Lunch Box Suppliers:
Inexpensive Lunch Box Suppliers:
- Officeworks has lunch boxes from $9.96.
- Kmart has options from a tiny $3.
- Big W has options from $6 through to $18
Cheapest Option: Kmart at $3
Standard Lunch Box Suppliers:
High-Quality Lunch Box Suppliers:
Uniform deals really depends on your school’s uniform policy. For most State Schools, you can buy basic polo’s, shorts and skorts very cheap! But when you have embroidery or private school uniforms, you may have to cough up the cash as places where you can purchase these are very limited.
Cheap Uniform Options:
Intermediate Uniform Options:
School Stationery Deals:
If your school doesn’t have a list that you can just tick and send to the school – that sucks because as a parent, choosing which pencil your child wants is a Royal PITA! But here is were to get the good deals on stationery:
- Office National
Text Books for High School and University Students:
Did you know you can also RENT text books. Here’s where:
Online Text Books:
Back to School Technology Deals:
Different sellers have different deals – but here are the most consistently affordable options:
Hint: Choosing a Laptop Computer When You Don’t Know About Them
Take your school list with all of the computer specs with you when you go shopping. Of course most of the best deals are online, but if you do your homework first- you will get a better deal!
Harvey Norman actually has a really great guide on choosing the right laptop for your child!
Back to School Name Labels:
It is a great idea to label all of your child’s belongings. Kids lose stuff (I went through four hats for each of my boys last year!). Plus the school can’t return a found item if there is no name. Iron on labels are also great for school uniforms – easily lost when they have swimming lessons!
- Bright Star Kids
- Stuck On You
- Identity Direct