Mom Shares Story Of Toddler Son Aspirating Popcorn

Mom Shares Story Of Toddler Son Aspirating Popcorn


Image via Nicole Johnson Goddard

Her toddler son aspirated popcorn and needed surgery — and now, she’s warning other parents by sharing his story

Parenting can be pretty terrifying. There’s no shortage of scary things that can happen and hazards that we need to watch for, and the whole thing is slightly easier when we help each other and share those near-miss stories. That’s why one mom took to Facebook to warn other parents about what happened when she gave her toddler popcorn — and why other parents should think twice before doing the same.

Nicole Johnson Goddard was enjoying a typical movie night with her family, including her toddler son Nash. She fed him popcorn, as she often does, but it became apparent later on that something wasn’t quite right.

Goddard says she “didn’t think twice” about giving Nash popcorn. She says he had a “small choking episode” but seemed fine afterward — until he started in with a cough.

“The next day he was fine but still had a weird sounding cough which concerned me a little. I just assumed he was catching the same crud we had all been going through,” she recalls. Then, her husband left for a work trip and later that night, Nash felt warm and was acting fussy. “He had a fever, so I gave him Motrin and put him to bed. A very long night with him and then his breathing looked a little labored to me and he just didn’t feel good,” she writes.

Image via Nicole Johnson Goddard

That’s when Goddard decided to take her son to the pediatrician where it was quickly discovered that the little boy had more than a cold.

“After a chest X-ray the dr didn’t like what he saw so he got scheduled that evening for a Bronchoscopy,” she explains. Her husband came home from his trip and Nash went in for the procedure. What doctors discovered was chilling.

“He had aspirated popcorn into his lungs when he choked. The body recognized it as a foreign object and put puss pockets around it. All the inflammation caused him to develop pneumonia in his left lung,” she says.

Image via Nicole Johnson Goddard

The doctor had to remove six pieces of popcorn from the toddler’s lungs during surgery, but as there was a lot of inflammation he wasn’t confident they got it all. The decision was made to admit Nash and repeat the procedure two days later. Goddard calls the hospital stay “a rollercoaster” but says her son received wonderful care and the second procedure was successful.

Image via Nicole Johnson Goddard





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *